Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP (FTLF) is committed to fostering and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). We value and respect differences among our Employees1, clients and communities.
Diversity is the presence of differences within a setting that may include, but not be limited to, race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality, language, gender identity or expression, family or marital status, (dis)ability, political affiliation, education, veteran status.
Equity involves the fair treatment that ensures everyone in a setting has access to the same opportunities, recognizing the advantages and barriers. Equity is an approach that makes a commitment to correct and address imbalances.
Inclusion is the extent to which there is a culture of belonging and individuals with different identities within a setting feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
Since FTLF opened its doors more than 50 years ago, its greatest asset is, and always has been, its people and our shared commitment to the clients we serve. Our diversity is not only an essential resource, which enhances our ability to understand and address the needs of our clients, especially as they grow increasingly diverse and multicultural, but it is integral to our individual and collective success and quest for excellence.
Applicability and Purpose of DEI Initiatives
FTLF’s DEI initiatives are and will be applicable to, among other things, our practices and policies on recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development and training; promotions; internal transfers; layoffs; and terminations.
The DEI initiatives strive for the ongoing development of a work environment that supports and reinforces:
- Respectful communication and cooperation among all Employees;
- Teamwork and Employee participation, including encouraging and providing for the representation of diverse identities and employee perspectives;
- Work/life balance to accommodate Employees’ varying needs where able to do so; and
- Participation in opportunities outside the firm where applicable.
To support and further the DEI initiatives, FTLF expects all Employees to treat others with dignity and respect at all times and encourages conduct that reflects inclusion during work, at work functions on or off the work site, and at all other firm-sponsored and participative events.
Charge of the DEI Committee
FTLF’s DEI Committee will work closely with the Management Committee to carry out DEI initiatives that will support the goals described above, including but not limited to, initiatives that will strengthen diversity throughout the firm. Specifically, the DEI Committee will explore, analyze, develop and provide implementation recommendations related to, among other things, (1) the development of new or revision to existing operational and employment-related policies and procedures that incorporate the principles of DEI and address historic racism and gender bias; (2) the establishment of related training and educational opportunities (3) evaluating the effectiveness of policies and procedures; and (4) as requested, any other activities that fall within the goals of DEI.
Consistent with the aforementioned charge, and as part of the firm’s ongoing efforts to advance our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, the DEI Committee envisions FTLF taking the following actionable steps (among other things), which, as necessary and applicable, will be codified in the firm’s policies and procedures:
- Improving the level of diversity within the firm’s leadership positions, committees and practice development efforts;
- Developing an evaluation process to set clear expectations and accountability around diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Annually reviewing and recognizing the contributions made by Employees to advance the firm’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Emphasizing the firm’s long-standing policy that encourages reporting of any discrimination or harassment based on any protected status;
- Encouraging and fostering participation in opportunities outside the firm to explore diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives underway with clients, bar associations, and minority organizations that share this common objective;
- Strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining Employees from all backgrounds, in particular individuals from underrepresented groups;
- Developing mentorship and sponsorship programs for our Employees;
- Recognizing diversity as a business imperative in increasing our business opportunities and partnerships with key external markets, communities and suppliers;
- Creating a work environment that engages, enables, and empowers people to do their best work;
- Focusing specifically on recruitment, retention and development of diverse talent at all levels in the firm;
- Serving as a leader in our community by valuing diversity; and
- Providing regular and repeated diversity, equity, and inclusion training to our entire workforce.
Download Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
1 Employee refers to all personnel working for or on behalf of FTLF, including all attorneys, non-attorney managers and staff, contractors, etc., and hereinafter, will be referred to as “Employee” or “Employees.”