Edward T. Waters
Serving as Managing Partner of the firm since 2003, and a member of the Health Care and Federal Grants practices since 1992, Edward (Ted) T. Waters focuses his practice on helping organizations to solve problems, often in crisis situations. A national authority in the area of federal grants, particularly in the health and community service spheres, he advises clients on all aspects of program requirements, including issues such as cost-based reimbursement, governance and the never-ending list of grant administration matters. Mr. Waters’ expertise in financial, cost reporting, reimbursement, and administrative issues is widely recognized, and illustrated by his selection as a 2014-2021 Washington, DC Super Lawyer in health care. Mr. Waters routinely handles challenging issues for clients such as government audits, internal investigations, and litigation, deftly guiding them to a resolution. His priority is to help each organization carry out its mission and ensure that legal challenges do not distract from that focus. From his more than a decade of experience running the firm, Mr. Waters understands acutely the challenges of keeping an organization running, and offers practical, down-to-earth counsel to support organizational leaders in doing just that.
Throughout his career, Mr. Waters has counseled numerous health and community service organizations, negotiated with federal and state officials, and represented clients in front of state and federal courts, administrative tribunals, Offices of Inspector General, and federal agencies. Mr. Waters also has extensive experience advising Boards and senior leadership in organizations undergoing major management changes, often in high-profile situations.
Mr. Waters frequently conducts trainings for countless groups across the country such as state and national organizations, local, state, and federal agencies, and private non-profit organizations, including the American Bar Association, National Association of Community Health Centers, and National Head Start Association. Mr. Waters is a Professional Lecturer in Law at the George Washington University Law School, where in 2014, he began teaching the first law school class in the nation on federal grant programs.
Mr. Waters is focused on both the big picture and minutia of the legal challenges facing his clients so that they can focus on their mission. He strives to develop creative solutions to the crises facing his clients so that they are able to continue doing the work they were meant to do.
- Successfully represented a group of eight health centers in litigation with the State of Washington obtaining close to $15 million.
- Successfully represented a Head Start program before the Departmental Appeals Board to reverse termination of a Head Start grant, including various cost disallowances.
- Successfully represented a Medicaid managed care plan in a bid protest over the competitive award of Medicaid managed care contracts.
- Served as general counsel for one of the country’s largest health centers for 17 years.
- Selected to the Washington, DC, Super Lawyers list – Health Care (2014-2016, 2018-2022)
- Howrey & Simon, Associate (1989-1992)
- Department of Energy Board of Contract Appeals, Legal Clerk (1988-1989)