H. Scott Johnson, Jr.
As a Senior Counsel with the firm, H. Scott Johnson, Jr. maintains an active practice advising business and institutional clients on employment matters, commercial agreements, government contracts, and risk management.
Frequently serving in the capacity of an “outside general counsel,” Mr. Johnson counsels and advises businesses at all stages of the growth cycle on a broad range of issues including corporate formation and organization, business contracts, joint ventures, and corporate transactions.
In addition to his corporate practice, Mr. Johnson is also well-regarded for his employment and complex civil litigation practice. He has represented several Fortune 500 clients in employer-employee disputes arising under Title VII, the FLSA, the ADA, the FMLA, and the ADEA as well as issues pertaining to harassment, employment agreements, and restrictive covenants (e.g., contractual provisions that restrict an employee’s ability to compete, solicit, misappropriate trade secrets, or disclose confidential information). Mr. Johnson’s complex civil litigation experience includes representing businesses in a wide variety of contract disputes and business torts including tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duty, civil conspiracy, defamation, fraud, and misappropriation of trade secrets. Mr. Johnson also conducts investigations and training on ethics, procurement, and employment law in furtherance of mitigating risk of litigation and reducing company exposure.
Outside of his legal practice, Mr. Johnson is active in civic and community endeavors. Since 2014, Mr. Johnson has served as a gubernatorial appointee (for Governors Terry McAuliffe and Ralph Northam) on Virginia’s Board for Professional and Occupational Regulation. Mr. Johnson has also served as a gubernatorial appointee (for Governor Tim Kaine) on Virginia’s Public Broadcasting Board (2006-2010).
Mr. Johnson is a former adjunct professor of transactional drafting at the George Washington University Law School, as well as a former member of the George Washington Law Alumni Association Board of Directors.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Johnson was the Managing Member and co-Founder of PCT Law Group, PLLC, a minority-owned law firm that provided legal services to Fortune 500 companies in employment defense litigation, commercial litigation, and intellectual property.
- Represented a Fortune 100 airline in an FMLA and ADEA case (through appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit), resulting in dismissal.
- Represented a Fortune 100 retail company in a federal breach of contract case, resulting in dismissal.
- Represented a Fortune 50 financial services company in an FLSA dispute (through appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit), resulting in dismissal.
- Represented a Fortune 500 Global consulting company in a federal defamation action, resulting in dismissal on summary judgment.
- Successfully negotiated the recovery of a multimillion-dollar payment arising from a prime contractor’s failure to make payments to a subcontractor for services performed under a federal contract.
- Represented a large municipal agency in an extensive internal investigation pertaining to contracting irregularities.
- Conducted an internal investigation into harassment and hostile work environment complaints made by employees against department supervisors.
- Rated “AV Preeminent” (the highest rating level) in Litigation, Business Law, and Labor & Employment by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law – Management (2015-2022).
- Recognized as a “Top-Rated Lawyer” in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2017, 2020).
- Recognized as a “Top-Rated Lawyer” in Labor & Employment in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2015, 2019).
- Recognized as a “Top-Rated Litigator” in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2018).
- Recognized as a “Top-Rated Business Attorney” in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2016, 2017).
- Recognized as a “Top-Rated Lawyer” in Virginia by Martindale Hubbell (2013).
- Recognized as a “Legal Elite” in Business Law by Virginia Business Magazine (2010).