Katherine A. O’Rourke
Conflict is at the core of many divorces and can produce volatile emotions. Divorcing clients appreciate the combination of strength and compassion Katherine brings to her cases, especially when substance abuse, mental illness, domestic violence or contested child custody issues are involved. Katherine firmly believes in putting the children first in every divorce situation and in trying to reduce conflict between divorcing parents. A skilled problem-solver, Katherine acts decisively on behalf of her clients and is known for moving forward in a prompt and effective way to achieve her client’s goals.
Katherine, a partner in the family law practice at Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP, practices all aspects of family law including complex financial issues and child related matters. She has been litigating family law cases for over ten years. As a former trial attorney with the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia, Katherine has extensive experience in the courtroom. She ensures her clients understand the court process and are well prepared in the event a case goes to court.
A respected and skilled litigator, Katherine is equally comfortable negotiating and formulating settlement agreements for her clients that prioritize the needs of children in the process and focus on protecting a secure financial future.
- In the Matters of M.D. and B.D. – served as lead governmental counsel in termination of parental rights case. Affirmed by Judge Cheryl M. Long on April 13, 2007, and reported in the Daily Washington Law Reporter on May 14, 2007.
- The Best Lawyers in America® – Family Law (2018-2023)
- Selected to the Washington, DC, Super Lawyers list – Family Law (2019-2022)
- Washingtonian Magazine, Top Lawyer – Divorce and Family Law (2017, 2018)
- Office of the Attorney General of the District of Columbia (2004-2008)
- Hon. Nan R. Shuker, Superior Court, Washington, D.C. (2003-2004)
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program (2001-2002)