Kathryn E. Doi serves as the Partner-in-Charge of FTLF’s California office and is a member of the firm’s health care and litigation practice groups. A seasoned litigator with over 30 years of experience, Ms. Doi possesses an extensive knowledge of the health care industry and its governing statutes, regulations, and agencies. She advises health care providers on Medicaid reimbursement matters, including negotiation and appeals of payments, cost report audits, under- and overpayments, and False Claims Act allegations. She also represents physician groups, hospitals, and provider-based health plans in managed care disputes in arbitration and state court and air ambulance companies in connection with the application of Airline Deregulation Act preemption to air ambulance lien claims in the workers compensation venue.
Ms. Doi has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in complex regulatory and reimbursement matters in administrative appeals, mediation and arbitration, and state and federal court actions. She has also represented clients in investigations and audits by the Office of Inspector General, the Department of Justice, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and the California Department of Health Care Services.
Before joining FTLF, Ms. Doi was a partner in the Sacramento, California, office of a California-based AmLaw 200 firm for nearly a decade. She also has served in the highest ranks of state government for the State of California, including as Senior Deputy Legal Affairs Secretary for Governor Gray Davis. Since 2013, she has been a public member and designated attorney appointment to the California New Motor Vehicle Board, appointed to two terms by Governor Jerry Brown and reappointed by Governor Gavin Newsom.
A graduate of the University of California, Davis, School of Law and Stanford University, Ms. Doi is a sought-after speaker at industry trade conferences and has presented on a variety of topics related to health care law as well as authored numerous articles and publications on these subjects.
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Health Care (2011-2023)
- California Lawyers Association, Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Legal Services Award (2021)
- Top Lawyer, Sacramento Magazine (2016, 2018-2020)
- California Primary Care Association Hero Award (2013)
- Martindate-Hubbell AV® Peer Review™ Rating
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Administrative Law (2004)
- Bar Association of San Francisco Outstanding Pro Bono Lawyer (1989)
- “Court Upholds Physicians’ Rights Against Health Plan Network Cuts” (February 2014)
- “Supreme Court Hears Challenge to California 10% Medicaid Cuts,” The Edge, HFMA Northern California Newsletter (November 2011)
- “The Threat of Class Action Lawsuits,” California Health Law News (CHLN), (Spring 2012)