Kathy S. Ghiladi
A partner with the firm, Kathy S. Ghiladi, has an active litigation practice spanning the areas of health care, federal grants law and government contracts, and corporate law.
In the area of health care, Ms. Ghiladi’s practice focuses on government-sponsored health care programs such as Medicaid, CHIP, Medicare, and the Affordable Care Act, with an emphasis on payment/reimbursement and compliance related issues.
Ms. Ghiladi also advises clients in matters related to Medicaid and Medicare payments and reimbursement, the submission of cost reports, and represents them in litigation in federal court, in administrative appeals within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services before the Departmental Appeals Board (DAB) and the Provider Reimbursement Review Board (PRRB) and in State court and administrative actions. She also provides reimbursement counseling (including identification, reporting, and repayment of overpayments) with respect to Medicare, Medicaid, and private third-party payers.
Ms. Ghiladi advises individual health centers, managed care organizations, and national and state associations on managed care arrangements, compliance with insurance statutes and regulations, corporate affiliations and transactions, employment matters, and contractual obligations.
Recognizing that health care providers face increasing government scrutiny, Ms. Ghiladi assists clients in responding to governmental audits and investigations, including subpoenas, OIG, and False Claims Act matters. She also assists clients in conducting internal corporate investigations and developing compliance programs.
With respect to federal grants law and government contracts, Ms. Ghiladi handles such matters as Federal and State bid protests on behalf of prospective Government grantees and contractors and advises grant recipients of a wide variety of Federal and State grant funds concerning grant requirements, cost accounting issues, and cost disallowances. She also assists clients with matters concerning grant/contract interpretation, negotiation, and compliance.
In the corporate law field, Ms. Ghiladi represents small and large businesses, including nonprofit organizations (comprised primarily of professional and trade associations), advising clients on organizational, governance, and risk management issues. Her corporate work also includes responding to Government investigations and audits.
Ms. Ghiladi is dedicated to helping clients navigate complex government rules and requirements so that they can focus on their respective missions and objectives.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction against a federal agency enjoining the award of a federal grant to the client’s competitor.
- Assisted a number of Federally Qualified Health Centers across the country with the process of setting appropriate rates and obtaining payment under the Medicaid Prospective Payment System.
- Successfully resolved a grant disallowance approaching $1 million on behalf of a nonprofit, community-based organization.
- Successfully challenged the proposed debarments of a prospective government contractor and of a former federal employee.
- Persuaded the Federal Government to reverse the revocation of a client’s security clearance.
- Selected to Washington, DC Super Lawyers list – Health Care (2014-2017)