Marna S. Tucker
Founder, Senior Partner
Marna has practiced law in the domestic relations field for almost 50 years, and is a nationwide expert in complex divorces, domestic violence and prenuptial matters. She has been recognized several times as one of the “Top Divorce Lawyers” by the Washingtonian Magazine as well as one of the “Top Lawyers” in Washington, D.C. She was noted as one of the top divorce lawyers in the nation by Town and Country magazine. She is a Fellow of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers and a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. The Legal Times recently honored her as one of “Washington’s 90 Greatest Lawyers in the last Thirty Years.”
She has gained prominence for her leadership in the legal community, having been elected the first woman president of the District of Columbia Bar in 1984 and the first woman president of the National Conference of Bar Presidents. She chaired the Federal Judicial Center Foundation Board, having been appointed by Chief Justice William Rehnquist. Marna also chaired the Fellows of the American Bar Foundation and various ABA Commissions and Committees, including the Commission on Civics Education in our Nation’s Schools, the Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary and the Standing Committee on Professional Discipline.
In the community, she chaired the Mayor’s Commission on Violence Against Women. She has served as a member of the Board of Regents of Georgetown University, a member of the Board of Visitors of Georgetown Law Center, and as a founding Board member of the National Women’s Law Center. She has been honored by the American Bar Association with the prestigious Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award and the Robert Drinan Distinguished Service Award. The National Organization for Women awarded her its 2008 Intrepid Woman Award.
She has also been honored by the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia as Woman Lawyer of the Year, by the National Women’s Law Center as its honoree and by the Georgetown University Law Center with its Alumni Achievement Award.
Marna has been an Adjunct professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center where she received her LL.B., and a Lecturer of Law at Catholic University Columbus School of Law. She received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the District of Columbia School of Law.
- Selected to the Washington, DC, Super Lawyers list for Family Law (2020-2022)
- Selected to the Washington, DC, Super Lawyers “Top 100” list – Family Law (2010-2019)
- Best Lawyers® – Women in the Law (2016)
- The American Lawyer, Lifetime Achievement Award (2015)
- Selected to the Washington, DC, Super Lawyers, “Top 100” list (2010-2012)
- Selected to the Washington, DC, Super Lawyers, “Top 50 Women” list (2010-2013)
- American Jewish Congress, National Capital Area – Golda Meir Award
- Annual Alumni Achievement Award, Georgetown Alumni Club
- Exceptional Achievement Award, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.
- Margaret Brent Women Lawyers of Achievement Award, American Bar Association
- National Conference of Bar Presidents Outstanding Fellows Award
- National Legal Aid and Defender Association Annual Award
- National Organization for Women (NOW) Intrepid Woman Award
- Robert Drinan Distinguished Service Award, American Bar Association
- Trinity College, Woman of Genius
- Woman Lawyer of the Year, Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- ABA Pro Bono Project, Director (1971-1973)
- Congressman Allard K. Lowenstein, Special Assistant (1969-1970)
- Legal Services Program, Western Region, Office of Economic Opportunity, Deputy Director (1967-1969)
- Neighborhood Legal Services Program, Staff Attorney (1965-1967)