Nicole M. Bacon
A Partner in the firm’s Federal Grants, Litigation & Government Investigations, Health Care, and Education practice groups, Nicole Bacon has a diverse practice, representing a variety of community-based organizations, including Head Start programs and Health Centers in a wide range of issues before State and Federal courts as well as administrative bodies.
In addition to litigation services, Ms. Bacon offers her clients specialized guidance in compliance with federal grant law, including specific programmatic requirements as well as the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements of Federal Awards. She drafts and negotiates a variety of subrecipient and contractor agreements to assist her clients in complying with the federal requirements so they can better serve their communities.
Ms. Bacon leads the firm’s Head Start education and training efforts by designing seminars and meetings both in-person and via webinar for large and small groups on a number of grants-related topics. Ms. Bacon ensures that participants are brought up-to-date on federal regulations, management, and financial requirements to help attendees respond to critical events and protect their grants.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Bacon worked as a staff attorney for almost five years with Legal Services of Northern Virginia and Rappahannock Legal Services, representing low-income clients, including Spanish speaking clients, in family law, housing, and consumer matters. Nicole continues her work with these clients pro bono, applying her litigation experience to help individuals with domestic violence matters as well as individuals facing housing issues including eviction or loss of their Section 8 housing vouchers.
Ms. Bacon has always been passionate about helping underserved and underrepresented clients, and she feels strongly about her work at the firm assisting organizations that are fighting the systemic issues she often saw her clients facing in her prior work. Helping these organizations to better aid the populations they serve drives her work every day.
- Representing clients in Medicaid reimbursement, Federal Tort Claims Act coverage, False Claims Act defense, and cost disallowances litigation matters.
- Reviewing and revising contracts, subrecipient agreements, procurement policies and procedures, and other grant-related documents to ensure compliance with programmatic requirements and other federal regulations.
- Advising clients on the federal requirements for grant related construction and renovation projects.
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia, Staff Attorney (2004 – 2008)
- Rappahannock Legal Services, Staff Attorney (2004)